Well, that was dumb.
I ordered a bunch of office-supply stuff online last week. The first part came yesterday: a pack of CDs and file folders. The CDs got used immediately, to archive the courseware project. Might have done that earlier, but daily USB backups were okay until it was definitely done. The file folders will get used soon**.
The second part came today: two 50-pound boxes of printer paper.
ACK! I thought I was ordering two reams, not two 50-lb boxes!
Two reams would have been good for a year or so. This is more than a lifetime supply. (Nice reminder of mortality there.)
It did serve one good purpose.... the UPS man weighed the boxes as he got them out of the truck, and each was 50.1 pounds. Knowing this, I was able to calibrate my bathroom scale.
Not sure what I'll do about these. Returning would be more trouble and expense than it's worth. I don't want to injure my back by carrying the boxes. (Another nice reminder of mortality!) Guess I'll just open the boxes, pull out enough of the reams to hold me for a couple years, and gradually throw away the other reams in non-back-breaking tranches.
Basic lesson I've learned over the decades: Storing my work product and work logs
in full detail is always worthwhile.
I always go back and use some of the thoughts and solutions and source code fragments. Storing great quantities of stuff
is never worthwhile. I never use it.
Later, after looking at the transaction: It wasn't pure
stupidity, though I should have checked before clicking Submit. I had ordered two reams a year ago, which is how I know that two reams last a year. I thought I was clicking the "Repeat Previous Order" button. Apparently I clicked the "Other Customers Bought" button, which was the large quantity. Still my error, but marginally less dumb than simply entering the store and picking the wrong thing ab initio. Maybe.
= = = = =
**Update 4/4/2015: Finally got BORED enough to use those file folders for intended purpose. Sorted out all the paper
paperwork from courseware project that had been accumulating through the years. Made a folder for each year, eliminated some irrelevant stuff. I'd forgotten how long this project has been running! 21 years, through at least 4 LBO's and three name-changes of publisher.
Labels: Metrology, TMI