Putting this up front in the unlikely event that someone was waiting for the fix to AUDIN, my old public-domain audiology courseware.
This week, after seeing indications that people were actually downloading the program, I decided to check out the setup file to be sure everything is OK. It wasn't OK! The setup file had acquired a virus. I located the original CD and set up AUDIN on my computer, in order to build a new installer.
While playing around, realized the existing version (built in 2004, tested on 98 and XP) was crashing in Win 7.
For what it's worth: the problem was memory 'access violation', and it came from using HeapAlloc/HeapFree for class constructors/destructors, instead of GlobalAlloc/GlobalFree. It appears that I wrote it first using Global, then switched to Heap for some unrecorded reason. Perhaps the Heap pair ran better in Win 3.1 or some other very old system.
I switched back to GlobalAlloc/GlobalFree, recompiled with newer Visual C++, and built a new installer in dull but standard MSI form.
Now it works for sure in Win 7 and Win 2000-Server. I no longer have an XP computer for testing, but if it works in 2000-Server, it should also work in XP.
For more background, see here.
Download the new setup file
NOTE: Because the stupid website refuses to download an MSI file for stupid "security" reasons, I had to change the file to "AUDIN-SETUP.msi.txt" for permissible download. Just rename it without the .TXT part and run it to install AUDIN.
There is also a ZIPPED container
including the same MSI. For some reason the stupid website handles a ZIP but won't handle an MSI by name.
Update 5/19/2015: Modified and rebuilt the program again to make it look right on newer displays. It was 'hard-wired' for 800 x 600 and looked too wide on bigger displays. Now it's not resizable, but holds its correct aspect ratio. Same names for files as above.