How not, how to
Trump seems to be following a Book of Bad Strategy. I'm pretty sure these rules are NOT in Sun Tzu or Clausewitz or Machiavelli or Drucker:
1. Give your enemies a thousand new ways to kill you, and leave yourself fully open to all their weapons.
2. Don't give your supporters any reason to support you.
3. Start lots of fights you can't win.
= = = = =
As I was thinking about this, I checked email and found the weekly 'constituent report' from McMorris, who is my Reference Standard
for competent politicians.
The letter contains two features:
1. A tour of the local NAACP, including pictures with cute kids in the daycare center.
2. A long and informative discussion of Trump's reversal of the EPA's Waters rule, which had given EPA authority to destroy every drop of water in the country. McMorris helped to push and guide the reversal.
Exactly right, and exactly opposite to Trump.
1. McMorris is giving her enemies NOTHING to grab onto. They know she's not working FOR them, but she knows how to keep her mouth shut so they can't make anything stick.
2. McMorris is giving her supporters a SOLID FACTUAL reason to support her. EPA is the enemy of the universe. Every restriction on its power makes life easier and longer for humans and animals and plants and the universe.